More than 35 million Americans suffer from sinus infections annually. The symptoms of these infections can range from mild congestion to thick discharge, pain around the eyes and face and fever.
These are the most common symptoms of sinusitis:
- Thick, yellow, foul-smelling discharge from the nose
- Sinus pressure or pain around the face and eyes
- Nasal blockage
- Post-nasal drip
- A cold that doesn’t go away
We reveal 10 effective natural treatments of sinus infections:
- Beneficial foods
- Garlic and onions: They strengthen the immune system and act as natural antibiotics.
- Ginger: Ginger tea is one of the most helpful sinuses infection home remedies.
- Water: To treat sinus infections, you must be properly hydrated. You should drink 8 ounces of water every 2 hours to remove the virus from your system.
- Horseradish: To clear the nasal passages, mix it with lemon and take it as a homemade remedy.
- Vitamin C foods: Foods rich in this vitamin accelerate the recovery and boost immunity.
- Harmful foods
- Sugar: Sugar reduces white blood cells whose role is to fight against infections.
- Refined flour and grains: These lead to the production of mucus.
- Fruit juices: Most fruit juices are processed and loaded with sugar.
- Salt: Salt can dehydrate the body and decelerate the healing.
- Dairy products: Milk and other dairy products stimulate the mucus production.
- Grapefruit Seed Extract
Grapefruit seed extract is a powerful antiviral to fight infections. To reap these benefits, use a grapefruit seed extract nasal spray four times daily.
- Essential Oils
Essential oils like eucalyptus and peppermint oil open up the sinuses, treat sinusitis, and remove the mucus. Just rub a drop of each oil on the roof of the mouth and drink some water.
- Oregano oil
Its powerful antibacterial and anti-fungal properties fight infections. You should take 500 milligrams of this oil four times daily, or use it for inhalation. Add a few drops to a large bowl of boiled water, cover the head with a towel, and inhale.
Garlic is one of the most potent natural antibiotics, so you should eat 2-5 grams of fresh garlic or take 2-5 milligrams of garlic oil on a daily basis.
- Neti Pot
To clear the nasal passage and treat chronic sinusitis symptoms, use a neti pot with a saline solution.
This beneficial herb relieves sinusitis and accelerates healing. You should take 1,000 milligrams 2-3 times daily.
- Vitamin C
Vitamin C helps you fight infections and prevent free radical damage, so you should take 1,000 milligrams of it three times daily.
To treat the congestion and relieve the symptoms of the infections, use a saline nasal spray, a humidifier, or enjoy a steam-filled bathroom.